This is my 2nd attempt at this chocolate marble iced layered cake. I took multiple ideas from different locations and combined them into one recipe to make one fantastic creation for my Mom’s birthday celebration tonight!
My first attempt the icing went pretty well and the cake tasted good, but the cake crumbled when cut. The icing also didn’t melt all the way through. So I searched for a way to make my cake more dense and decided with my microwave I needed to heat the icing a little longer than the 30 seconds that was recommended in the initial recipe that I had seen.
I found a recipe where you add instant pudding and milk to the cake mix to thicken the cake as well as an extra egg, that did the trick! It was the perfect consistency! No more will your cake fall apart when coming out of the pans! Plus the taste was great!
Start with preheating your oven to 350°.
Then continue with mixing the cake mix, pudding mix, milk, oil and eggs in a medium mixing bowl. Mix until the batter is a smooth consistency, note this will be thicker than most cake mixes. The consistency will seem more like a brownie batter.
Make sure to grease both round pans well, including the sides. The cake batter is then split between both round pans and put them in the oven for approx 17 minutes at 350°. Remember I use a gas convection oven so my times might be slightly shorter than what you may need to bake your cake. Check your cakes with a tooth pick to verify it is done. You will know it is done if you are able to remove the tooth pick from the center of the cake without any dough sticking to it.
Remove your cakes from the round cake pans after they have cooled for approximately 10 minutes. Make sure to loosen the sides before you flip over your pan. Let the cakes cool for approximately 35 more minutes before continuing with the next step. Once your cake is done cooling place your cooling rack on top of a pan to prevent too much of a mess when pouring your icing in the next step.
Unwrap the chocolate truffle and place it in the middle of the vanilla frosting container. Put the frosting container in the microwave for 40 seconds (you may want to start with 30 seconds).
Once the icing is melted use a knife and stirred it up slightly to verify the chocolate truffle is melted completely. Then poured a small amount on the first layer of cake for the center icing. Use a knife to even out this icing and placed the 2nd layer of cake on to of the first. Then continue to pour the icing starting in the center and swirling out toward the edges until the icing is gone.
Once you are done icing your cake, place your pan in the fridge for 1 hour prior to transferring your cake to a serving platter or cake carrier.
Enjoy your layered cake with marbled frosting!
Ingredients For Layered Cake With Marbled Frosting
1 boxed cake mix
1 small box of pudding mix
1/2 cup of milk
1/3 cup of oil
1 regular can frosting
1 chocolate truffle candy
Layered Cake with Marbled Icing
- 1 Box Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1 3.5 Oz Box Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix
- ½ Cup Milk
- ⅓ Cup Vegetable Oil
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Regular Can Vanilla Frosting
- 1 Chocolate Truffle Milk Chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- Combine the box cake mix, pudding mix, milk, vegetable oil, and eggs together. Mix well.
- Grease both round cake pans.
- Split cake batter evenly between both cake pans.
- Bake for 17 minutes at 350° or until a toothpick can be removed from the center of the cake and come out clean without any dough residue.
- Let your cakes cool on a cooling rack for approx 10 minutes before removing form the pan, be sure to loosen the sides before flipping over your pan to remove your cakes.
- Continue to let your cakes cool for an additional 35 minutes.
- Insert your truffle into the center of your icing containers.
- Place your icing in the microwave for 30-40 seconds on high. Stir gently after to verify the truffle is completely melted.
- Pour approx 1/4 of the sauce over the 1st layer of your cake, smooth over the cake with a knife evenly. Then place the 2nd layer on top of the 1st layer.
- Pour the remaining icing in a swirl motion over the cake starting in the middle.
- Place the cake in the refrigerator for 1 hour prior to transferring to a cake platter or cake carrier.
One thought on “Easy Marble Iced Layered Cake”
Kill me now,Becca. This looks insanely delish🙌🏻 Can’t wait to try it!