So last week I got a little carried away with buying strawberries at the store while they were on sale. Leaving me with some extras this week that needed to be used! I wanted something a little non traditional, so I combined a few recipes and came up with this wonderful Strawberry Jello Sheet Cake that has Jello within the cake instead of poured on top of a cooled cake like most Jello cakes.
Preparation of Strawberry Jello Sheet Cake
Start with preheating your oven to 350°.
Then begin making your Strawberry Jello Sheet Cake by combining your white cake mix, strawberry Jello, eggs, oil and 1/2 of your pureed strawberries (approx 2/3 of a cup) to make your cake batter. Many of the other recipes I’ve had in the past didn’t include fresh strawberries in the cake. I found this to be so much better for the overall flavor of the cake! This is another perfect recipe to get your kids involved with since it is simple! Let them help you stir and make the frosting!
Then spread your cake batter into a medium or large sized jelly roll pan or stone. I used a 14.75″x10.5″ Stone.
Bake your cake for approx 20-25 minutes or until a tooth pick or knife comes out of the center of the cake clean.
After your cake has completely cooled approx 2 hours, begin to make your frosting. Start by whipping your butter with a hand or stand mixer. I prefer to use a hand mixer to make frosting as I find it easier, but a stand mixer works just as well!
Then add in the remaining pureed strawberries (approx 2/3 of a cup) and vanilla. Mix these until they are well combined.
Gradually begin adding in the powdered sugar. Start with 1/2 of the powdered sugar first and then slowly add in the second 1/2 to the consistency of frosting you would like. I like my frosting to be slightly more runny and icing like. If you want thicker frosting just add more powdered sugar.
Once you have your frosting to the desired consistency, spread it evenly on your cake. I struggled with frosting cakes for years. This is the easiest way I found to frost a cake. Spread globs of frosting around on the cake evenly and then try to frost the cake evenly from the spread out globs of frosting. I found this works better instead of trying to frost the cake from the bowl of frosting.
Your cake can be kept at room temperature or in the fridge if you prefer cold cake. We find we like it cool in the summertime especially! If you like this recipe be sure to check out our lemon pretzel dessert, it’s another great Spring/Summer time recipe!
Strawberry Jello Cake
1 Box White Cake Mix
1 3oz Box Strawberry Jello
3/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
2/3 Cup Pureed Strawberries (Approx 3 large Strawberries)
1/2 Cup Softened Butter
2/3 Cup Pureed Strawberries (Approx 3 Large Strawberries)
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
4 Cups Powdered Sugar
Amazing Strawberry Jello Sheet Cake
- Jelly Roll Pan
Strawberry Jello Cake
- 1 Box White Cake Mix
- 1 Box Strawberry Jello 3 oz
- 4 Eggs
- ¾ Cup Vegetable Oil
- ⅔ Cup Purred Strawberries Approx 3 Large Strawberries
Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
- ½ Cup Butter Softened
- ⅔ Cup Pureed Strawberries Approx 3 large strawberries
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 Cups Powdered Sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- Combine the White Cake Mix, Jello, Eggs, Vegetable Oil, and ½ of the pureed strawberries (approx 2/3 of a cup). To make a cake batter. Mix until the batter is mostly smooth, but it will have some small chunks.
- Pour batter into a jelly roll pan. Smooth batter out evenly in the pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a tooth pick or knife comes out of the center of the cake clean when checking the cake to see if it is done.
- Wait approx 2 hours for the cake to cool and then make the frosting as instructed below.
- Whip the softened butter with a hand or stand mixer.
- Add in the remaining ⅔ cup of pureed strawberries and vanilla. Mix well.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar, start with ½ of the powdered sugar first.
- Continue to add the 2nd ½ of the powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached.
- Frost the sheet cake with the strawberry buttercream icing.
- Enjoy your Strawberry Jello Sheet Cake! You can store it at room temperature or in the refrigerator.