Almost every family gathering on my husband’s side of the family has to include chocolate chip cookies! This recipe is an adaption of the traditional chocolate chip cookie recipe his grandmother has made for years. It’s amazing how not only the flavor but also the texture can slightly change with a small adjustment of ingredients and adding in some M&Ms. These chocolate chip M&M cookies are now a favorite of my boys to keep in the freezer for dessert or a quick snack.
It’s important to gather all of your ingredients first.
To make your dough, start with combining your vegetable shortening, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, and hot water. Combine all of these ingredients to a cream base for your cookie dough, make sure this is mixed well. I find it is easiest to make this recipe with a stand mixer since it is so large, but you can use a hand mixer or mix it by hand as well.
Continue to make your dough by adding in the flour, salt and baking soda. Mix well. Once the dough is well mixed add in your chocolate chips. You can then either add in your M&Ms to your cookie dough or plan to place them on top of your cookie dough balls later on.
Refrigerate your cookie dough for at least 1 hour to make it easier to scoop and bake. This will also help your cookies bake more evenly.
Preheat your oven to 350°.
Once your cookies have cooled for at least an hour in the refrigerator, use a cookie scoop to make even sized dough balls. Place your dough balls approx 2″ apart on your cookie sheet or stone. If you did not put your M&M into your dough, place them on top of your cookies now. I did 3-4 M&Ms on top of each cookie.
Then bake your cookies for 10-12 minutes. Your cookies should be golden brown when they are fully baked.
Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet or stone for approximately 5 minutes prior to moving them to a cooling rack to cool competently. Once your chocolate chip M&M cookies are cooled completely store them in an air tight container.
This recipe makes approximately 6 dozen cookies. If you are not going to eat these cookies with in 5-7 days I would suggest you freeze them for future use.
If you enjoy these cookies check out some of our other cookie recipes including our snickerdoodle cookies and oatmeal chocolate chip butterscotch cookies.
Ingredients For Chocolate Chip M&M Cookies
2 Cups Vegetable Shortening
1 1/2 Cups Granulated White Sugar
1 1/2 Cups Brown Sugar
3 Teaspoons Vanilla
1 Teaspoon Hot Water
4 1/2 Cups Flour
2 Teaspoons Salt
2 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
2 Cups Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 Cup Milk Chocolate M&Ms
Chocolate Chip M&M Cookies
- 2 Cups Vegetable Shortening
- 1½ Cup Granulated White Sugar
- 1½ Cup Brown Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 3 tsp Vanilla
- 1 tsp Hot Water
- 4½ Cup Flour
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2½ tsp Baking Soda
- 2 Cups Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 Cup M&Ms Milk Chocolate
- Begin with gathering all of your ingredients.
- Start with combining your vegetable shortening, granulated white sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla and hot water together to make a cream base for your dough. Mix together well.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients including the flour, salt, and baking soda. Mix well.
- Add in the chocolate chips. Then add in the M&Ms if you want them mixed in the dough.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator for at least one hour to cool.
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- Once the dough has cooled, use a cookie scoop to make evenly sized dough balls and place them on a cookie sheet approx 2" apart.
- Bake your cookie dough balls for 10-12 minutes or until your chocolate chip M&M cookies are golden brown.
- Remove your cookies from the oven and let them cool on the cookie sheet for approx 5 minutes. Then transfer them to a cooling rack.
- Once your cookies are cooled completely store them in an air tight container.