I will always be grateful to have a great example of a hard working Mother while growing up! Dinner wasn’t always easy to plan, and often once I was old enough we had casserole dishes that were made ahead with instructions on them on how to heat them in the oven for myself and my sister. This way at 6:00 when my mom got home we could have dinner as a family. One of my favorites was this Make Ahead Beef Chop Suey Casserole. Some of my other favorites included our Shepard’s Pie and Baked Spaghetti Recipes!
Preparation For Make Ahead Beef Chop Suey Casserole
The preparation for this dish doesn’t get much simpler! Combine your undrained bean sprouts, drained water chestnuts, browned ground beef, chopped onion, chopped celery, dry white rice, soy sauce and beef broth in a 9×13 deep dish pan. Mix all ingredients well. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate. Refrigerate for up to 24 hours before cooking.
When you are ready to bake your make ahead beef chop suey casserole, preheat your oven to 375°.
Bake your chop suey covered at 375° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until it is boiling in the center and rice appears fully cooked.
Although this casserole is great on it’s own I would recommend to serve it with chow main noodles! They add a little saltiness and crunch. After cooking you can also add soy sauce to taste.
14 oz Can Bean Sprouts, undrained
5 oz Can Water Cheatnuts
1 lb Browned Ground Beef
1/2 Sweet Onion, Chopped
3 Celery Stalks, Chopped
2 Cups White Rice
2 1/2 tsp Soy Sauce
2 Cups Beef Broth
Make Ahead Beef Chop Suey Casserole
- 1 Can Bean Sprouts, undrained 14 oz
- 1 Can Water Chestnuts 5 oz
- 1 lb Ground Beef Brownded
- ½ Sweet Onion Chopped
- 3 Celery Stalks Chopped
- 2 Cups White Rice Dry
- 2½ tsp Soy Sauce
- 2 Cups Beef Broth
- Combine undrained bean sprouts, drained water chestnuts, browned hamburger, chopped sweet onion, chopped celery, dry white rice, soy sauce and beef broth in a deep dish 9×13 dish.
- Mix all ingredients together well within the dish.
- Cover the dish and refrigerate for up to 24 hours prior to baking.
- When your ready to bake preheat your oven to 375°.
- Bake covered for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Or until liquid is boiling in the middle and rice is fully cooked.
- Serve alone or with Chow Main Noodles. Add soy sauce to taste and enjoy!