After years of cooking and playing with different recipes today I finally found a slow cooker shredded beef recipe I will continue to use for a long time! I have tried numerous different tricks and ingredients along the way to help make roasts tender and pull apart easily. Most of these attempts yielded little success. Today though after a lot of research I found out I wasn’t over cooking or leaving out the right ingredients I was just under cooking my roasts. This was causing them to turn out tougher than I wanted. I wish I would have known it was something so simple a long time ago!
Without running to the store this morning I wanted to make a flavorful shredded beef for beef and noodles as well as french dip sandwiches this week. While raiding the kitchen cabinets and refrigerator I discovered I didn’t have any onions or vegetables which I would usually use to cook with a roast. It was time to improvise!
Start with preparing your beef broth with adding in 1/2 of the spices including the onion powder, garlic powder, seasoned salt and pepper.
Continue with slicing the beef roast into 1/2 pound sections. Then heat up a large frying pan on medium heat. Pour the olive oil into the heated frying pan. Add in the remaining 1/2 of the spices to the oil. Sear both sides of all 1/2 pound sections of the roast.
Then placed your seared beef sections in a crock pot with the beef broth mixture. Place your slow cooker on low and forget about it for at least 8-10 hours!
When checking your roast to see if it is done gently pull apart the meat with two forks. If it pulls apart easily it is ready, if it doesn’t cook it longer!
This slow cooker shredded beef is perfect for beef and noodles, BBQ shredded beef, or french dip sandwiches. If you make a large roast like I did and have a smaller family you are cooking for, you could even do all 3 recipes with one roast! This roast also pairs great with our perfect mashed potatoes.
1 2-3lb Beef Chuck Roast
2-3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
4 Cups Beef Broth
2 Teaspoons Onion Powder
1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 Teaspoon Seasoned Salt
1 Teaspoon Pepper
Slow Cooker Shredded Beef
- Medium or Large Slow Cooker
- 2-3 lb Beef Chuck Roast
- 4 Cups Beef Broth
- 2-3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Teaspoons Onion Powder Split In 2
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder Split In 2
- 1 Teaspoon Seasoned Salt Split In 2
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper Split In 2
- Begin with pouring the beef broth and 1/2 of all of the spices including the onion powder, garlic powder, seasoned salt and pepper into your slow cooker. Stir to mix together.
- Cut roast into approx 1/2 lb sections.
- Heat a frying pan, pour in olive oil and remaining 1/2 of onion powder, garlic powder, seasoned salt and pepper.
- Sear all beef sections on both sides. Place sections into the slow cooker and cover with beef broth.
- Cover slow cooker, and place on low for 8-10 hours.
- Check beef tenderness by trying to pull beef apart with 2 forks. If it pulls part easily your roast is ready! Remove all sections and pull beef apart with forks. If it does not pull apart easily cook longer on low.
- Enjoy your slow cooker shredded beef!