Growing up on a farm we always had beef in the freezer. Sometimes we had to find some different ways to use it that weren’t our traditional dinners of Baked Spaghetti or Sloppy Joes. One of my favorite dishes was smothered chopped steak or poor man’s steak. Once I started meal prepping I found it easier to make this dish in the slow cooker. I’m not a huge fan of mushrooms, but many in my family do like them. They are easy to add into this slow cooker chopped steak recipe if you like them!
Preparation Of Slow Cooker Chopped Steak
To begin making your chopped steak start with combining your ground beef, egg, seasoned salt, and pepper in a medium sized mixing bowl. Divide the ground beef into 4 equal parts and pat into hamburger like patties as shown below.
I find the easiest way to do this is by making a ball with the meat and then patting it into a flat circle.
Then you will use a stove top to sear your chopped steak. Heat your skillet up over medium heat, then add the vegetable oil to the skillet. Once the oil is hot add in the hamburgers. This can be tested by putting a small amount of water into the oil to see if it bubbles. Sear the meat so there is a golden brown crust on both sides.
Then spray your slow cooker with vegetable oil or other non-stick cooking spray. You will then place your meat into the slow cooker.
After your meat is in the slow cooker you’ll then start with making the gravy. Combine 1 1/4 cup of water with the Brown Gravy Packet. Mix well with a whisk and pour over the ground beef. Add in the mushrooms now if you are choosing to add these.
Cooking Your Chopped Steak
Continue with placing the lid on the slow cooker and setting the slow cooker on low for 6 hours.
Once your chopped steak has cooked for 6 hours gently remove the chopped steak from the crock pot and set aside on a plate. Then combine the remaining 1/4 cup of water and 3 Tbsp of flour to form a paste and whisk this into the gravy solution. This will help form a thicker gravy. If you are ready to eat, you can serve your meal now, or replace your chopped steak into the crock pot for up to 30 minutes prior to serving on the keep warm setting.
This slow cooker chopped steak goes great with our garlic mashed potatoes and our fruit crisp for an entire delicious country meal!
1 lb Ground Beef
1/2 tsp Seasoned Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper
1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 Brown Gravy Packet
1 1/4 Cup Water
4 oz Mushroom Pieces and Stems, optional
1/4 Cup Water, to make thickening solution
3 Tbsp Flour, to make thickening solution
Slow Cooker Chopped Steak
- Slow Cooker
- Frying Pan
- stove top
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 Egg
- ½ tsp Seasoned Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Brown Gravy Packet
- 1¼ Cup Water
- 4 Oz Mushroom Pieces and Stems Optional
- ¼ Cup Water
- 3 Tbsp Flour
- Start with combining the ground beef, egg, seasoned salt, and pepper in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Split the ground beef mixture into 4 equal parts. Make hamburger like patties out of the meat.
- Heat a frying pan on the stove top under medium-high heat. Then add the vegetable oil. Sear the hamburger patties on both sides until golden brown. Set these inside a greased slow cooker.
- Mix the brown gravy packet along with 1¼ Cup of water. Pour this mixture over the hamburger patties.
- Set your slow cooker on low for 6 hours.
- Once your meat has cooked for 6 hours, remove the meat patties from the slow cooker.
- Mix the remaining ¼ Cup of water and flour to make a thickening solution.
- Whisk this into the gravy mixture to thicken it.
- Spoon the gravy over the chopped steak and enjoy!