I have always loved a trip to Olive Garden, and one of my favorite dishes is baked ziti. Today the mission was to make a slightly healthier version of this dish and I cooperate some veggies! This vegetable baked ziti makes a great main dish for a dinner party or family dinner. It also is perfect for meal prep lunches!
After gathering all of your ingredients, start with preheating your oven to 350°. Then bring the water to a slight boil and start cooking the ziti (or penne pasta) for about 3/4 of the time listed on the box. I cooked mine for 8 minutes this morning. Drain your pasta and combine with the spaghetti sauce.
Set your noodle mixture aside. Then slice up your vegetables. I sliced my zucchini in approx 3/4 inch pieces and then quartered these. I did the same with the smaller end of the yellow squash and the larger rings were cut into six pieces.
Dump your cut up zucchini and yellow squash into your spaghetti sauce mixture. Once this is mixed well dump this into a medium sized baking pan. If you are not using a stone make sure to grease your pan.
Then cover your spaghetti mixture with the shredded cheese. If you can’t find the Mozzarella Provolone combination you can use provolone slices and cover with mozzarella shredded cheese.
After your mixture is well covered in cheese bake covered for 45 minutes. Continue cooking uncovered for the remaining 15 minutes.
Enjoy your vegetable baked ziti! This can be used as a weekly meal prep dish or for a meatless Monday meal! If you are looking for other wonderful make at home Italian recipes try our Baked Spaghetti or Garlic Parmesan Rolls Recipe!
Ingredients For Easy Vegetable Baked Ziti
2 Cups Penne Pasta
45 oz Spaghetti Sauce
2 Zucchinis diced
1 Yellow Squash Diced
2 Cups Mozzarella Provolone Cheese, shredded
Vegetable Baked Ziti
- 2 Cups Penne Pasta
- 45 Oz Spaghetti Sauce
- 2 Zucchinis Diced
- 1 Yellow Squash Diced
- 2 Cups Mozzarella Provolone Cheese Shredded
- Preheat your oven at 350°.
- Start with cooking your penne pasta for 3/4 of the time listed on the box. Approx 8-9 minutes. Then Drain your pasta.
- Cover your pasta with your spaghetti sauce and set aside.
- Dice your zucchini and yellow squash, add these into your spaghetti mixture. Cover well with the spaghetti sauce.
- Spread your spaghetti mixture evenly into a medium sized baking pan.
- Cover with the shredded cheese.
- Cook at 350° for 45 minutes covered, then uncover and cook for the remaining 15 minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy!