Growing up in the Midwest Jell-O dishes are always included in big family gatherings. This Layered Rainbow Jell-O was always a favorite at all of our family gatherings. All of my cousins were always were excited to see my Grandmother had made it for our Fourth of July, Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrations! Now I am planning on passing on the recipe to my little one who helped me make it last night for the first time! I will warn you though, this recipe takes a good 7 hours to make, but there is a good amount of time in between layers you can use to make other dishes or complete other tasks like cleaning!
Preparing To Make Your Layered Rainbow Jell-O
To start the preparation process for your Layered Rainbow Jell-O gather all of your ingredients and supplies. I would suggest lining up your Jello-O boxes in the order you will use them in to prevent errors. They should be layered starting with the Raspberry then progressed to Cherry, Lime, Lemon, Orange and finally Strawberry.
You will also need 2 measuring cups that measure at least 1 cup, a whisk, spatula, and a spoon.
Layering Your Jell-O
Continue with boiling 1 cup of water and mixing in the first box of Jell-O (the raspberry). Mix the Jell-O powder well with the water using a whisk, for at least 1-2 minutes or until all of the powder is dissolved. Then split your Jell-O mixture in half (If you are using traditional, not sugar free Jell-O this will put 3/4 Cup in each measuring cup). Use a spoon to remove as many of the air bubbles from the top of the Jell-O mixture as you can.
Then mix in 1/3 Cup of sour cream to one half of the Jell-O Mixture. Use the whisk to mix the Jell-O and sour cream well. Continue with removing as many air bubbles from the top of the Jell-O mixture as you can with a spoon again, this will prevent you from having to do it later.
After you have removed the air bubbles, pour your creamy Jell-O mixture into a 9×13 dish. I like to use a glass dish. This will allow you to see the beautiful layers! Then remove any bubbles that were created with a spoon.
Chilling Your Layered Rainbow Jell-O
Then chill your first layer in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. (Trust me on this no less time will be enough — I trialed it all for you)!
While your first layer is chilling, add in 1 Tablespoon of cold water to your clear Jell-O mixture this will help your Jell-O to set in the right consistency and for your layers to appear more even.
After your first layer has chilled for 30 minutes, pour your clear Raspberry Jell-O over your creamy Raspberry Jell-O. Remove any bubbles that occur with the pouring process with a spoon.
Chill your second layer in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Then repeat the process with the remaining flavors of Jell-O Cherry, Lime, Lemon, Orange, and Strawberry.
Once you have all layers complete — approximately 6 hours into making your Layered Rainbow Jell-O place your Rainbow Jell-O into the refrigerator for at least 1 hour prior to serving.
If you enjoy this Jell-O dessert be sure to check out our Strawberry Jell-O Sheet Cake with fresh strawberry frosting!
6 Boxes of 3 oz Jell-O
Flavors Layered in the Following Order: Raspberry, Cherry, Lime, Lemon, Orange and Strawberry
6 Cups of Boiling Water — Split into 1 Cup Increments
2 Cups Sour Cream — Split in 1/3 Cup Increments
6 Tablespoons Cold Water — Split into 1 Tablespoon Increments
Layered Rainbow Jell-O
- 2 glass liquid measuring cups at least 1 cup size
- 6 3 oz Boxes Jell-O Raspberry, Cherry, Lime, Lemon, Orange, Strawberry
- 6 Cups Boiling Water Divided into 1 Cup Increments
- 2 Cups Sour Cream Divided into ⅓ Cup Increments
- 6 Tablespoons Cold Water Divided into 1 Tablespoon Increments
- Start with gathering all of your supplies and ingredients.
- Then begin with boiling 1 cup of water and mixing in your first box of Jell-O, the Raspberry. Mix well for 1-2 minutes until the powder is well dissolved.
- Then separate the Jell-O mixture in half.
- Attempt to remove as many air bubbles from the tops of the Jell-O mixtures as you can with a spoon.
- Set one half of the mixture aside for now. With the remaining half, add in ⅓ Cup of Sour Cream. Mix well using the whisk until the mixture becomes a creamy color.
- Remove visible air bubbles from the top of the Jell-O mixture with a spoon.
- Then pour your creamy Jell-O mixture into a 9×13 dish then even out the mixture and place the dish in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- After your first layer has chilled, pour your clear Jell-O on top of your creamy layer and remove visible air bubbles with a spoon. Place your dish into the refrigerator for another 30 minutes.
- Repeat the above steps starting with boiling 1 Cup of water for each flavor of Jell-O until all of your layers are complete.
- Once all of your layers are complete, refrigerate your Layered Rainbow Jell-O for at least 1 hour prior to serving.
- Enjoy your Layered Rainbow Jell-O!