It’s hard to believe fall is just around the corner already! With that in mind it was time to break out some of my favorite recipes for the fall season including this Caramel Apple Sheet Cake! This sheet cake is filled with delicious apples and topped with a wonderful caramel icing.
Preparation Caramel Apple Sheet Cake
Begin with preheating your oven to 375°.
Then start with combining your ingredients to make a cream base for your Caramel Apple Sheet Cake. Combine the softened butter, vegetable shortening, granulated sugar, vanilla, eggs, and buttermilk combine until mixed well. Then slowly add in your flour, cinnamon and baking soda, mix well before slowly adding in your diced apples.
Once your apples have been added to your cake mix, pour your batter into a sheet pan or jelly roll pan and smooth out the batter.
Bake your Caramel Apple Sheet Cake at 375° for 20 minutes or until a knife or tooth pick can be cleanly removed form the center of the cake.
Icing Your Sheet Cake
Let your cake cool at least 20 minutes prior to starting to make your icing.
The first time I made this cake, I did not wait long enough and made a gigantic mess in my kitchen with the icing! Do not make the same mistake!
To start making your icing melt your butter over a low to medium heat on the stove top in a medium sauce pan. Once the butter is melted remove the pan from the heat and add in the vanilla, milk and caramel sauce. Mix well. Then whisk in the powdered sugar.
After icing is smooth from whisking and powdered sugar is dissolved pour the icing over the cake and use a spatula to even out the icing over the sheet cake.
Enjoy your Caramel Apple Sheet Cake!
What If I Don’t Have Some Of The Ingredients?
The buttermilk is probably the oddest ingredient in this recipe that many of us don’t have on hand. The great news is you can make a buttermilk substitute with ingredients you likely have on hand! Check out this post to see how!
If you don’t specifically have Gala apples don’t worry! Any apple that cooks will will work. I have also used Granny Smith apples and Fuji Apples with great success. My favorite apple for this recipe is the Gala apples though due to their texture and flavor after cooking.
Storing Your Caramel Apple Sheet Cake
Make sure to store your Caramel Apple Sheet cake in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve it. If you have left overs after initially serving your cake, store your cake in an air tight container. This will help to keep the cake moist and delicious!
1 Stick Butter, softened
1/2 Cup Vegetable Shortening
1 Cup White Granulated Sugar
2 Teaspoons Vanilla
1/2 Cup Buttermilk
2 1/4 Cup Flour
1 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
3 Medium Gala Apples, Peeled and Diced
1 Stick Butter
1 Tsp Vanilla
5 Tbsp Caramel Sauce (ice cream topping)
1/3 Cup Milk
4 Cups Powdered Sugar
Caramel Apple Sheet Cake
- 1 Stick Butter Softened
- ½ Cup Vegetable Shortening
- 1 Cup White Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Vanilla
- ½ Cup Buttermilk
- 2¼ Cup Flour
- 1½ Tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 3 Medium Gala Apples Peeled and Diced
- 1 Stick Butter
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 5 Tbsp Caramel Sauce Ice Cream Topping
- ⅓ Cup Milk
- 4 Cups Powdered Sugar
- Begin with preheating your oven to 375°.
- Combine sheet cake ingredients to make a cream base: softened butter, vegetable shortening, granulated sugar, vanilla, eggs, and buttermilk. Mix well.
- Add in your diced apples and mix well.
- Pour your batter into your sheet pan and spread out evenly.
- Bake your sheet cake at 375° for 20 minutes or until a knife or tooth pick comes out clean from the center of the cake.
- Remove your cake form the oven and let cool for at least 20 minutes before starting to make your icing.
- To begin making your icing, melt your butter in a medium sauce pan over low to medium heat on the stove top.
- Once your butter is melted, remove the sauce pan from the heat and add in your vanilla, caramel sauce, and milk. Whisk together.
- Slowly whisk in the powdered sugar.
- Once the powdered sugar is all whisked in and smooth, pour icing over sheet cake and spread evenly.