One of my favorite cookies as a child was the soft and chewy lemon sugar cookies we would have at church gatherings. I adapted my lemon sugar cookie recipe to make these wonderful soft and chewy orange sugar cookies! They are just as fantastic and have that citrus twist that make these sugar cookies the perfect treat for any spring or summer get together!
Preparation Soft And Chewy Orange Sugar Cookies
To begin making your orange sugar cookies combine your softened salted butter sticks, orange zest from one orange and juice of 1/2 of an orange, white granulated sugar, vanilla and egg into a cream cookie dough base.
**If you don’t have salted butter it’s okay! Use unsalted butter and add 1/4 tsp of salt instead. I just could only find salted butter in the store this week with our lovely grocery store shortages during the pandemic and wanted to post the exact recipe I used!
Then slowly add in your flour and baking soda. Mix well.
Place your cookie dough in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours to cool prior to baking.
Once the orange sugar cookie dough is cooled, use a cookie scoop or spoon to scoop our even balls of cookie dough to roll in the remaining granulated sugar.
Place evenly on a baking sheet approximately 2″ apart.
To begin baking start with preheating your oven at 350°.
Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes at 350°. Remove your cookies from the oven once they appear cracked and not gooey inside the cracks. Let them cool on the cookie sheet for 4-5 minutes prior to transferring them to a cooling rack.
This recipe makes approximately 4 dozen cookies.
Ingredients For Soft And Chewy Orange Sugar Cookies
2 Sticks Salted Butter, softened
1 Orange– Zested
1/2 Orange Juiced
1 1/2 Cups White Granulated Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla
2 3/4 Cup Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 Cup White Granulated Sugar, for rolling cookies
Soft and Chewy Orange Sugar Cookies
- 2 Sticks Salted Butter Softened
- 1 Orange Zested
- ½ Orange Juiced, approx 1.5 Tbsp
- 1½ Cups White Granulated Sugar
- ½ tsp Vanilla
- 1 Large Egg
- 2¾ Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ Cup White Granulated Sugar For Rolling Cookies
- Cream together softened salted butter, orange zest, orange juice, white granulated sugar, vanilla and egg to make a cream dough base.
- Slowly add in your flour and baking soda. Mix well.
- Cover dough and refrigerate for 1-2 hours prior to baking.
- Once your ready to bake your cookies, Preheat your oven to 350°.
- Use a cookie scoop or spoon to get even cookie dough balls and roll in white granulated sugar.
- Place evenly approx 2" apart on a cookie sheet or stone.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Cookies should appear cracked on top, and not gooey in the cracks when they are done. Edges should NOT be browned.
- Remove cookies from the oven and leave on the cookie sheet for 4-5 minutes to cool before transferring to a cooling rack or wax paper to cool completely.
- Enjoy your Soft and Chewy Orange Sugar Cookies!