With grocery shelves being a little more empty and the weather not cooperating with grilling it’s time be be a little more creative with meal prep! This week I was thankful to be able to find some locally sourced chicken from Miller Poultry at our grocery store. Although ideally I would have likely grilled my chicken for meal prep, the weather wasn’t exactly cooperative on my day off. So it was time to come up with an alternative plan. I took some of the concepts from a recipe I made a few weeks ago to make this easy stove top grilled chicken for my meal prep this week. It reminds me of grilled chicken when you order from some of our local bar & grill locations.
Preparation Of Easy Stove Top Grilled Chicken
Since I was only able to find larger chicken breasts this week, I chose to butterfly and cut my chicken breasts in half. This gives me approximately 4 oz pieces of chicken similar to chicken breast tenderloin pieces.
To begin preparation for your chicken place the chicken in a single layer in a large Ziploc bag. Use a meat tenderizer to pound the meat to be of equal thickness. Pound the meat to be approx 1/4-1/2″ thick.
Set your chicken aside.
Turn the burner on med-high and place your cast iron skillet or cast iron griddle over the burner. Pour the vegetable oil on the skillet or griddle and let the oil warm up with the skillet or griddle.
You will know the oil is hot enough to cook once it is slightly bubbling and bubbles a lot when it is sprinkled with cold water.
Place your chicken breasts on your hot griddle or in your skillet. Then season your chicken breasts to your liking. I used salt, pepper and a garlic and herb seasoning. Lemon pepper seasoning is also great! I prefer the seasonings that are similar to Mrs. Dash so I can control the amount of salt, but you can also use traditional onion or garlic powder, seasoned salt and pepper.
Let your chicken breasts cook for approx 5-6 minutes on this side, try not to move them around too much. This will help you to get a good golden brown sear on your chicken.
Then flip your chicken and season the other side. Cook for approx 5-6 minutes again. Flip one more time for 1-2 more minutes to complete searing.
Verify your chicken is at a safe temperature to eat which for poultry is 165° Fahrenheit.
Once your chicken is done cooking either serve immediately or package for meal prep. Our easy stove top grilled chicken pairs great with our slow cooker mac and cheese and our Red Hot applesauce or a nice side salad!
1 lb chicken breasts butterflied or chicken breast tenderloins
4 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
2 tsp Garlic and Herb Seasoning or seasoning of choice
Easy Stove Top Grilled Chicken
- Cast iron skillet or griddle
- 1 lb Chicken Breasts, Butterflied or Chicken Breast Tenderloins
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- 2 tsp Garlic and Herb Seasoning Or Seasoning Of Choice
- Start with placing your chicken in a large Ziploc bag.
- Use a meat tenderizer to pound the meat until it is ¼-½” thick.
- Set meat aside while you prepare the skillet or griddle.
- Place your skillet or griddle on the stove top over medium-high heat.
- Pour the oil evenly over the skillet or griddle.
- Wait for the oil to heat up, the oil will slightly bubble and will bubble a lot when splattered with cold water.
- Place your chicken in the skillet or on the griddle.
- Then season your chicken with ½ of the salt, pepper and seasoning of your choice.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes, flip the chicken.
- Season the other side of the chicken with the remaining seasonings.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes. Flip the chicken over again and sear for 1-2 minutes.
- Verify your chicken is cooked through. It should be 165° F prior to eating.