One of my favorite holiday breakfasts growing up was this easy egg casserole. I can remember having it on Easter Sunday and Christmas morning. Occasionally we also had this when we had some extra eggs to use up, or bread that was going stale. This week I had some bread to use up I had left from making some make ahead french toast sticks. This is also the perfect recipe to make the night before for a wonderful easy breakfast in the morning!
To begin making the egg casserole, gather your ingredients and a medium baking pan. Start with greasing your baking pan if you are not using a well seasoned stone. Then set your baking pan aside while you cut up your bread. I prefer to slice my bread into 9 pieces and have small pieces of bread to sprinkle into the pan until the pan is filled. I also prefer the bread without crust, but my Mother always made this recipe with the crust on. Either way works!
After your bread is covering the bottom of your medium baking pan set your pan aside while mixing up the egg mixture. To start mixing up the egg mixture combine all the eggs, milk, onion powder, garlic powder, seasoned salt and pepper whisk well. Pour to completely cover the bread pieces in your pan.
Continue with covering your egg and bread mixture with the cheese and breakfast meat toppings of your choice! I prefer bacon or ham with this casserole, but have family that loves it with sausage!
Then place your egg casserole covered in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight (a maximum of 12 hours) before baking.
To begin baking your easy egg casserole preheat your oven to 350°.
Bake your egg casserole for approximately 20-30 minutes depending on the size and depth of your pan. You will notice the cheese turning golden brown and the eggs rising completely throughout the dish when the casserole is done.
Ingredients For Easy Egg Casserole
9 Slices Texas Toast
3/4 Cup Milk
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/2 Cups Colby Jack Cheese, shredded
4 Slices Of Bacon, cooked and crumbled or meat of choice
Easy Egg Casserole
- Medium Baking Pan
- 9 Slices Texas Toast
- 12 Eggs
- ¾ Cup Milk
- ½ tsp Onion Powder
- ¼ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Seasoned Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- 1½ Cups Colby Jack Cheese Shredded
- 4 Slices Bacon, Cooked and Crumbled Or Meat of Choice
- Start with slicing up the bread in to 9 cubes per slice, with or without crust.
- Place the bread cubes evenly in the medium baking pan.
- Combine the eggs, milk, onion powder, garlic powder, seasoned salt and pepper in a mixing bowl, whisk until well mixed.
- Pour egg solution over bread cubes, make sure all cubes are completely covered.
- Top egg and bread mixture with cheese and meat of choice.
- Refrigerate covered overnight (at least 4 but no more than 12 hours).
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until cheese is slightly golden brown and eggs have risen completely throughout the entire dish.
- Enjoy your easy egg casserole!