An Easy Recipe Made With Things You Likely Have On Hand
With the current shortages at many grocery stores across the nation and the world it is more important now than ever to be able to make simple recipes out of things you have on hand. I love chicken pot pie and have eat frozen versions since I was little. There are numerous recipes out there on multiple different websites, but I needed one to make with the ingredients I had on hand. This recipe for semi-homemade chicken and dumplings was born out of a desire for comfort food and a want to use up some of that pantry and freezer stock.
Start with preheating your oven to 350°.
Begin making your semi-homemade chicken and dumplings by opening your canned chicken and draining it. Then dump it into your medium sized baking dish. I used a 9×9 baking stone. Then use a small spatula to dice up the chicken into smaller pieces.
Continue with dumping in your frozen mixed vegetables or a drained can of mixed vegetables. Then heat up your chicken broth. After your chicken broth is heated whisk in the flour. The flour will help to thicken the chicken broth and make it more gravy like after cooking. Once the flour is well mixed into the chicken broth pour it over the chicken and vegetables. Stir and mix up the chicken, vegetables and broth well.
Continue by opening your canned biscuits and cutting them into fourths. Place them in a single layer on top of the chicken and vegetable mix.
Then place your semi-homemade chicken pot pie into the oven to cook at 350° covered with aluminum foil for 20 minutes. Continue cooking uncovered for 10-15 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown.
Let the chicken pot pie set for 5 minutes before serving to allow for the gravy to thicken slightly. Use salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy your home cooked comfort food!
Ingredients For Semi-Homemade Chicken And Dumplings
1 12.5 Oz Can Chicken Breast, drained
1 1/2 Cups Frozen Mixed Vegetables or 1 Can Mixed Vegetables, drained
2 Cups Chicken Broth
4 Tablespoons Flour
1 Can Jumbo Buttermilk Biscuits
Salt and Pepper To Taste
Semi-Homemade Chicken and Dumplings
- 1 Can White Meat Chicken (12.5 Oz) Drained
- 1.5 Cups Frozen Mixed Vegetables Or 1 Can Mixed Vegetables, Drained
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 4 Tbsp Flour
- 1 Can Jumbo Biscuits Buttermilk
- Salt and Pepper To Taste
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- Drain your canned chicken, dump into the bottom of your medium sized baking dish and shred using a small spatula.
- Add your mixed vegetables to the baking dish.
- Heat your chicken broth, to warm, but not boiling, in the microwave.
- Whisk the flour into the chicken broth.
- Once it is well mixed pour it on top of the chicken and vegetable mixture. Stir well.
- Quarter your biscuits and place them on top of your chicken and vegetable mixture in a single layer.
- Cook at 350° for 20 minutes covered with aluminum foil. Then remove the foil and cook for another 10-15 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown.
- Enjoy your easy semi-homemade chicken and dumplings!