Recently I’ve been cooking and baking so much I can’t keep up with my recipes. This one I can’t pass up on posting tonight, it was so fast, easy and delicious! This shredded BBQ chicken will also make a great carry in dish for our appetizer and dessert Christmas party later this week too! With only 3 ingredients it is simple to throw together as well!
Later this week I am hopeful to have some time to catch up on posts so you all can share in everything else we have been enjoying. These recipes will include our Crockpot Mac and Cheese, peanut butter blossoms, buttery garlic ranch pretzels, banana bread and Jack’s favorite banana chocolate chip muffins!
What makes this recipe so great is it only has 3 ingredients if you don’t count the water! I usually use peach preserves and honey BBQ sauce since that is what I have on hand, but other sauces can be substituted. Today I am making this recipe in the instant pot now for time sake, but I have also made it in the Crock Pot and will give you times for that as well.
Preparation and Cooking
If your using an instant pot just throw in your frozen chicken breasts and water. Top the chicken with the BBQ sauce and Peach preserves. Place the pot on high pressure for 12 minutes and once done let naturally release for 3 minutes before manually releasing.
If you decide to use a crockpot for this recipe the USDA recommends to only use thawed meat and cook on high for the first hour prior to transferring to low for 4 more hours.
Always make sure your meat is at the right temperature when done cooking, chicken should be cooked to 165 degrees. This is important to check with the variation in size of chicken breast and the possibility of inconsistency of times chicken breasts may need to cook due to size.
After the pressure has been released, remove your chicken breasts and place them in a bowl. Use a strainer to strain the large chunks of fat out of your sauce mixture.
Now you are ready to shred your chicken. I prefer to use a hand mixer to shred chicken. I started doing this several years ago and found it to be the easiest way I have ever shredded chicken!
After chicken is shredded pour back in sauce mixture and mix completely. If you are taking this dish to carry in place it in a crock pot and set it on keep warm, otherwise enjoy your 30 minute meal! This chicken is great on its own with veggies, but also makes fantastic sandwiches. I love taking it to carry ins with mini buns.
Ingredients For Shredded BBQ Chicken
5 chicken breasts
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup BBQ sauce
2 T Peach Preserves
Shredded BBQ Chicken
- slow cooker, crock pot or instant pot
- 5 Chicken Breasts frozen for instant pot, thawed for crock pot
- ¼ Cup Water
- ½ Cup BBQ Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Peach Preserves
- Place the chicken breasts and water into either your instant pot or crock pot.
- Top the chicken breasts with BBQ sauce and Peach Preserves.
- If cooking by instant pot set the pot for 12 minutes on manual high pressure. Let naturally release for 3 minutes before releasing the pressure.
- If cooking by crock pot, cook on high for 1 hour and low for 4 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the BBQ sauce, use a strainer to strain the BBQ sauce and remove the fat from the chicken cooking.
- Use a hand mixer or forks to pull apart and shred the chicken.
- Combine the sauce and shredded chicken.