A Non Traditional Take On Lasagna
This recipe is one of my all time favorites! If I’m feeding a large group or just my family I could adjust this baked spaghetti recipe up or down. I have made 1/2 batches for just us and double batches for fire department dinners. The simplicity of it after it is made and the convenience it can be made in advance and thrown it in the fridge for a day is amazing.
This recipe is very similar to a lasagna, but it is made with spaghetti noodles and was often referred to as spaghetti pie while I was growing up. My Mom used to baked it in 2 deep dish pie pans instead of a 9×13 pan. This would be a great recipe to separate and freeze half if you are meal prepping!
Tonight I’m having the family over for Sunday night dinner. Baked spaghetti, salad, and garlic parmasen rolls (you can find the recipe for these here) are on the menu!
Prepping the baked spaghetti yesterday in between making my batches of oatmeal chocolate chip butterscotch cookies made tonight so much less stressful. It’s and easy recipe to segment and throw together in between other tasks!
Start with boiling the noodles to cook to package directions. I find I often prefer thin spaghetti so this is what I have around but you can use regular spaghetti noodles as well. However, I wouldn’t suggest to use angel hair for this recipe.
While noodles are cooking, brown the hamburger. Once the noodles are done, drain the water and run cool water over them for approx 2-4 minutes until they are no longer warm to the touch. Also drain the grease off your hamburger.
Also while the hamburger and noodles are cooking take a minute to mix up the cottage cheese layer of the baked spaghetti. You can also substitute ricotta cheese if you would like, but I have found cottage cheese works well.
Cottage Cheese Layer Ingredients
1 cup cottage cheese, 2 eggs, 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, 1 Tablespoon Italian spices, 1 Teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 Teaspoon onion powder
Mix above ingredients and set aside until you’re ready to layer!
Once noodles are cooled transfer them from the colander to a medium sized bowl to mix up the noodle layer.
Noodle Layer Ingredients
noodles, 2 eggs, 2/3 cup parmesan cheese, 1 Tablespoon Italian spices, 1 Teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 Teaspoon onion powder
Once the noodle mix is prepared you are ready to layer!
I generally cook this recipe in a well seasoned stone, if you are using a different type of pan sure to grease it before beginning. Begin with a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of the pan, I find this prevents my noodles on the bottom from getting too dry or over cooked. I usually use Prego sauce, I find it has better flavor and cooks better since it is thicker.
After your sauce base start with a layer of noodles I generally do 2 layers of each ingredient so I split each item in half. I have found tongs are helpful in moving the noodles around and getting them placed evenly.
Next come the layers of the cottage cheese mixture, then the ground hamburger, before topping with sauce. This process is then repeated.
Once you’ve completed the layering process, you are ready to cover the dish and either place it in the oven, refrigerator, or freezer! I have found this dish to be a great dish to make for many different reasons. I often make it for meal chains since it’s easy to make in a disposable metal pan and they can bake it on a night when they need a prepared meal.
Bake the baked spaghetti at 350 for an 45 minutes with the foil on, then remove the foil and top with the mozzarella cheese before finishing baking for 15 more minutes. If you refrigerated the dish it may take 10 minutes longer. You want to see the sauce boiling around the edges and in the middle.
Ingredients For Baked Spaghetti
8-12oz Thin spaghetti noodles
1 Cups cottage cheese
1 Cups parmesan cheese
2 Tablespoons Italian seasoning
2 Teaspoons garlic powder
1 Teaspoon onion powder
45 oz spaghetti sauce
1 lb ground beef
2 Cups pizza cheese
This dish pairs great with corn, broccoli, peas or green beans! The bonus is leftovers are almost better than the night you make it! This dish is crowd pleaser for sure!
Enjoy and let me know how it turns out! Don’t forget to subscribe to get further updates and more recipes!
- Large Pot
- stove top
- 9×13 pan or 2 Deep Pie Dishes
- 8-12 oz Thin Spaghetti Noodles
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Cup Cottage Cheese Can Sub Ricotta Cheese
- 1 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 45 Oz Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 2 Cups Pizza Cheese
- Preheat Oven to 350°.
- Boil Noodles to package instructions, drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking process.
- Brown hamburger, drain and set aside.
- Make Cottage Cheese Layer: Combine 2 eggs, 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, 1 Tbsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Make Noodle Layer: Combine Noodles and remaining 2 eggs, 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese, 1 Tbsp Italian spices, 1 tsp garlic powder, and 1/2 tsp onion powder. Set Aside.
- Grease your pan unless using a well seasoned baking stone.
- Start the layering process by putting a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of the pan.
- Split your noodle mixture, cottage cheese mixture and ground beef in half. Start with laying noodles then cottage cheese mixture then ground beef top with half of the remaining sauce. Repeat until all ingredients are used.
- Top with shredded pizza cheese.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes at 350°. Or store in the fridge for 24 hours. Or freezer for 3 months.
- Once the baked spaghetti has baked for 45 minutes remove the foil and cook uncovered for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is golden brown.